Child Marriage in the Caucasus Research Volunteer
Asfar, an international NGO (www.asfar.org.uk) is seeking a volunteer Researcher to provide key information on the issue of child marriage in the Caucasus, specifically in Georgia and Azerbaijan.
According to the UNICEF’s the State of the World’s Children 2016 report, 1% of Georgian girls are married by the age of 15 years old, while 14% of Georgian girls are married by the age of 18.
Asfar is currently finalizing our strategic plan 2017 to 2020, and in order to assist with its development and as well as future Caucasus-themed international development programmes, we are seeking a dedicated volunteer to carry out a piece of desk research on the current state of play of Child Marriage in the Caucasus.
Ideally, we are seeking a volunteer who can start on this as soon as possible, and provide an overview of the situation in Georgia and Azerbaijan.
The research focus will include:
- Current country-level statistics of child marriage;
- Ethnic groups and regions participating in child marriage;
- Reasons for the rise of child marriage post-the collapse of the USSR and the level of child marriage pre-USSR collapse;
- Number of Girls who return to education/employment after their marriage;
- Types of projects addressing the issues in each region;
- NGOs working on the subject and key contacts;
- Potential barriers to resolving the issue etc.
The piece of research should be no more than 20 pages in length, should be concise and focus on the national, regional and local issues.
The ideal volunteer would be someone with experience in research, especially secondary research methods, initiative and able to work on their own, and have enough time to volunteer and be able to complete the report by 15th August 2017.
There will be wider opportunities to work in partnership with Asfar, especially on the child marriage prevention agenda if the volunteer wishes to do so.
To apply, please email you CV and your reasons for wishing to work as a Child Marriage Research Volunteer to firstname.lastname@example.org